If I am repaired, can we meet again for the first time, in all of the places I have feared to go, and then, again, in all of the places I will have forgotten, if I am repaired?




SC




_____________________________



Here is the desk drawer in which all of my odds and ends are kept, tidbits that would otherwise never see the light of day.











Friday, August 9, 2013

On Being Startled

    
     At times, his size would surprise him when he looked in the mirror. Fat hadn’t crept in around his middle. Nor had he put on any awkward mass lifting weights. It was just that, at times, he expected a boy of ten or eleven to be staring back at him, and the man he found instead startled him some. He would squint at this man, cautiously, as if through a keyhole, admire his lean muscles; flex them, as if he had just been transformed—as if he were still a boy, assessing his future.         

4 comments:

  1. I sometimes feel like that when I look in the mirror. Don't feel as young as the boy, maybe early twenties and the mirror doesn't mirror that...
    Anna :o]

    ReplyDelete
  2. A lot of my seniors are surprised when they look in the mirror and see an old person gazing back at them... especially those with some dementia. They don't know themselves and sometimes we have to cover their mirrors so they won't be startled by the face staring back at them...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free...