If I am repaired, can we meet again for the first time, in all of the places I have feared to go, and then, again, in all of the places I will have forgotten, if I am repaired?




SC




_____________________________



Here is the desk drawer in which all of my odds and ends are kept, tidbits that would otherwise never see the light of day.











Friday, July 7, 2017

Bridge to Terabithia


I figure my Elementary School had Katherine Paterson's, Bridge to Terabithia on a shit-list of some sort. That's why I never read it as a kid.

I went to a private school. A Christian private school. A school so uptight, it made St. Paul's, the local Catholic school, look like some sort of inner-city den of iniquity. A school that didn't hire ... even part time ... liberated, new-age hippy music teachers, like Bridge's Miss Edmunds. A school that prayed regularly, said the Pledge of Allegiance and would blackball in a heartbeat, even a Newberry Medal-Winner, with a character like short-haired, pants wearing Leslie Burke, who says, and I paraphrase, that she didn't believe God went around damning people straight to hell.

Why Leslie, don't be such a silly girl.

Sigh. What else did I miss out on?

Anyway, I've read Bridge to Terabithia now. Got a lovely signed '77 hardcover edition. Cried like a baby. Wonderful read. Highly recommend it. 

       





2 comments:

  1. This was my all-time favorite book as a child. There was a patch of woods behind my house growing up that I called Terabithia. I even had a rope swing from a tree. Others from that time period that I loved:

    Jacob have I loved, also by Katherine Paterson

    A Ring of Endless Light, by Madeleine L'Engle (actually, any L'Engle book called to me)

    Pigman, by Paul Zindel

    A Solitary Blue, by Cynthia Voigt.

    I love books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And thank you so much for the suggestions. I've put them all on my 'to read' list. Can't wait!

      Delete

Feel free...